The UK Clinical Aptitude Test (UKCAT) is committed to achieving greater fairness in selection to medicine and dentistry and to the widening participation in medical and dental training of under-represented social groups. You can free download UKCAT ebooks collection – UK Clinical Aptitude Test at the end of the article.
The UKCAT does not contain any curriculum or science content. It focuses on exploring the cognitive powers of candidates and other attributes considered to be valuable for health care professionals. The test is run by the UKCAT Consortium in partnership with Pearson VUE, a global leader in computer-based testing and part of Pearson plc. It is delivered on computer worldwide through Pearson VUE’s high street centres.
All test questions are written by assessment experts and must pass detailed trials to ensure their validity and reliability. All questions, test duration, sequencing and style are reviewed on an ongoing basis to ensure that the test is culturally fair and bias is minimised. There is a programme of new item development including the testing of new questions as non-scoring components of the test.
For candidates sitting the examination in summer 2016, the UKCAT consists of five subtests: four reasoning tests, and one testing your professional demeanour. Each test has a time allocation as below:
- Verbal Reasoning – assesses candidates’ ability to think logically about written information and arrive at a reasoned conclusion. The candidate is given 22 minutes, with 11 passages to read and 44 questions to answer in that time.
- Decision Making – In 2016 UKCAT is piloting a new subtest of Decision Making which replaces Decision Analysis. The new Decision Making subtest tests ability to apply logic to reach a decision or conclusion, evaluate arguments and analyse statistical information. The candidate is allocated 32 minutes to answer 29 items associated with text, charts, tables, graphs or diagrams.
- Quantitative Reasoning – assesses candidates’ ability to solve numerical problems. The candidate is given 25 minutes, 9 tables, charts, graphs etc. as information; and 36 questions to answer.
- Abstract Reasoning – assesses candidates’ ability to infer relationships from information by convergent and divergent thinking. The candidate is allocated 14 minutes to answer 55 questions associated with sets of shapes.
- Situational Judgement – measures candidates’ responses in situations and their grasp of medical ethics. This section of the test is 27 minutes long, with 69 questions associated with 20 scenarios. [source]
The aim of this guide has been to provide you with an insight into the UKCAT and give you the opportunity to practice the various questions you will come up against. Our hope is that, by following the principles and steps contained in this guide, you will be able to confidently complete your UKCAT with excellent results.
We strongly recommend that you do seek more information from the Medical or Dental Schools to which you are applying, and also from the official UKCAT websites, to ensure that you are fully prepared for your UKCAT.
- Brian Holmes – Marianna Parker – Katie Hunt – Score Higher on the UKCAT – Oxford University Press (2014).pdf
- Christopher Nordstrom – George Rendel – Ricardo Tavares – Mastering the Ukcat – CRC Press (2018).pdf
- Christopher Nordstrom – George Rendel – Ricardo Tavares – Mastering the UKCAT – CRC Press (2015).pdf
- Matt Green M Phil – Jemini Jethwa – Succeeding in the 2008 UK Clinical Aptitude Test UKCAT.pdf
- Mike Bryon -Jim Clayden – Chris John Tyreman – How to Master the UKCAT Over 750 Practice Questions for the United Kingdom Clinical Aptitude Test.pdf
- Mike Bryon -Jim Clayden – How to Pass the UKCAT Unbeatable Practice for Success in the United Kingdom Clinical Aptitude Test.pdf
- Olivier Picard – Laetitia Tighlit – Sami Tighlit – David Phillips – Get into Medical School – 600 UKCAT Practice Questions – Includes Full Mock Exam – Comprehensive Tips – Techniques and Explanations.pdf
- Rohan Agarwal – David Salt – The Ultimate UKCAT Guide 1250 Questions – RAR Medical Services (2017).epub
- TO Osinowo – RA Weerakkody – HW Woodward – BMAT and UKCAT Uncovered A Guide to Medical School Entrance Exams.pdf
If you have difficulties to download the files, you can read the guide at here How to / Guide to download the file with steps.